Saturday, April 8, 2023

An Impromptu Trip to Arkansas | Landmark Landing

     https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Ja9E5-scESMimRZkWly13fVXypvphhOF
Abandoned House, Calico Rock, Arkansas, taken by Jennie Moore

     Sometimes the best things in life are unplanned, or so they say. After my first “on a whim” trip in February, I think I agree. I’ve always been a fiend for travel, even to, or especially to, typically bypassed areas. I am just as eager to road-trip on two lane roads through rural, small town America, as I am to see sprawling cities. The lesser known, the under documented, the elusive, is what entices me. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1-LlDsPXrzjiQ2f0f0X-a-am_M1CbwG21
Jon’s New Thunderbird, taken by Jennie Moore

     So when a close friend, Jon, asked my partner Walter & I to take a two day, one night trip to rural Arkansas to pick up one of his dream project cars, (a round of applause for the Thunderbird) I couldn’t resist. I couldn’t help but think of all of the sightseeing I could do, made even better by the presence of my loved ones. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1TSohGjV0LDjjSPrHttdc1Rvd3n1ijvHl
The Dogwood Motel, Mountain View, Arkansas, taken by Jennie Moore

     We left on a Friday night, stopping for pancakes and spontaneously being questioned by the police. An omen for a good trip, I’d say. We drove through the night, long highway straights led us across the state line. From there, Jon guided us along the curviest roads we had ever been on. The second segment of the trip felt much like a rollercoaster ride, and I would like to give major prop’s to the manufacturer of our breaks. We arrived at our motel, a family owned mid-century modern place called the Dogwood Motel. I can’t lie, I loved it. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1jvIMryOWyVlJ2Y1yKwai4PWEEHlJC911
Calico Rock, Arkansas, taken by Jennie Moore

     We woke up in Mountain View, Arkansas to a cool, crisp morning. We headed out early and grabbed some breakfast pizza on the way to the seller’s home. The seller was a kind man, and even welcomed us to see his personal project, a shiny red Nova. We loaded the precious cargo onto the trailer, and set off for home. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1VqiFUviRJYTUDcWyOZ7icHVNYwNSr4ha
Poster in our motel room, taken by Jennie Moore

     Although this trip seemed short, the amount of things you can see in 24 hours is incredible. Communities like Salem, Oxford, and Onia have so much to offer if one wants to look. Mountain View is a beautiful town, and even claims itself as the Folk Music Capital of the world. A unique quality of the city is just how many of its buildings are constructed with local rock, giving a uniform aesthetic to its streets. 

     From chatting with locals, to admiring the architecture along the way, I loved every second of our trip. I hope to find more opportunities to travel and document these hidden gems even further. I did strike gold on one location this time, so expect an article on that soon! Thank you for coming along with me. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment