Saturday, June 22, 2024

Visiting the American Pickers' Nashville Shop - Antique Archaeology, Nashville, Tennessee | Landmark Landing

 

Antique Archaeology, taken by Jennie Moore

    Hi all, and welcome back or greetings if you're new! I got to check off one of the stops on my bucket list, and I wanted to share that experience with you. If you enjoy my content, there is a likelihood you are familiar with the History Channel TV show, "American Pickers". If not, a brief rundown; two guys in a van travel the United States and search for vintage and antique treasures. They specialize in searching in old barns and buildings filled to the ceiling with collectables that typically haven't been touched in twenty years. Bonus points if the owner of the collection is a grumpy older gentlemen who isn't interested in selling anything. I really enjoy the show and watching them hunt for these hidden gems across America. 

    I remember watching the show often on summer mornings with my step father, after he had gotten home after a long night shift. When school was out, him and I would watch TV together until it was time for him to go to bed for the rest of the day. American Pickers was in our main rotation, and to be completely honest, became a reminder of good times. Those of you who know me will know that I fight chronic illness, and tend to find myself in the hospital a few times a year. Those who are in a similar boat know just how important and soothing watching TV can be when cooped up in a hospital room for days on end. One channel that any hospital TV will have, is the History Channel. When poor health finds me and must be dealt with, you can find me in my room watching American Pickers. From my hospital bed, I can travel many miles without a hair of stress on the body. Myself and whoever is visiting at the time will chat about the pickers' finds and the history behind them. It's amazing what troubles can be made bearable by means of passion and community, something as small as discussing a common interest. 

    One thing I hold true to, is taking advantage of and being grateful for my days of better health. I get a lot of those these days, thanks to my amazing medical team, and our good Lord. I vow to use the better days to explore the world myself, the world that I have spent a lot of my time watching from a bed in a beige painted room. I have spent many good days in vain, out of fear, insecurity, and I lacked understanding of the magnitude of how small daily decisions can impact the general narrative of your life over time. I am more eager to say "yes" to the opportunities to enjoy life each day. Now, with my new mindset and this blog, I like to think I can be your eyes into the world during those times you can't see things for yourself. Everyone deserves to have access to that knowledge, and experience our world and people's vibrancy. 

    Anyway, I'm getting off track but I have decided to be more personal in my writing, to be a better friend to you. I hope you don't mind. With all of that being said,  a while back I had the opportunity to visit Antique Archaeology, the store that sells all of the treasures that the American Pickers find on their adventures. I went with my mom to the location in Marathon Village (a neat place as well) in Nashville, Tennessee. I'll admit, most of what was in the store was over my budget, but I wasn't going there with strict expectations to buy something. To me, it was like a museum. Looking at each piece and wondering where it had come from and what its story was, or maybe if I could even spot it in the show. Just knowing that it had likely traveled hundreds of miles and maybe even experienced a restoration to end up here. I ended up taking a photo of one piece that really stood out to me, and had I not been a broke teenager at the time of this trip, would've maybe purchased. 

Vintage neon sign, taken by Jennie Moore

    This old sign really caught my eye. I'm no sign collector, but I can appreciate some vintage neon. I tried to research this sign and get some information on it, but I have had no luck. Even a reverse image search yielded nothing. If you know anything about this sign, I would love to hear about it! Leave me a comment, message, or email. I find that it reminded me of an ancient figure, like an Egyptian Pharaoh or noble statue that knows something we don't. The sign in fairly large in size, as you can see it next to several full sized instruments. Even if I did have the money, I'm not sure my mom would appreciate me cramming this into the back of her Ford Escape. 

    I had a great time wandering throughout the store with my head in the clouds. I did get an iron on patch with the companies logo on it, to add to my patch collection that I will add to my denim jacket... eventually. Being able to do these things on my better days make the flare up days a well worth it payment, and a lesson that God teaches me more on everyday. I'm on a mission to appreciate the gifts of life in full, and be truly aware of the blessings we experience everyday. Thank you for coming on this journey with me, and as always, thank you for reading.





0 comments:

Post a Comment