Sunday, December 3, 2023

Bufordville, Missouri Antique Shop | Small Business Sunday

 

Antique Store in Burfordville, Missouri taken by Jennie Moore

    Hello everyone, and welcome back to the blog. Today I want to share with you a neat shop that my father and I went to a few months ago. Many drive right past the small community of Bufordville, Missouri each day. Though history and nature lovers alike may know this village for it's historic Bollinger Mill and covered bridge (you can read my article on those by clicking here.) Just across the street from the landmark sits this quaint, colorful antique store. It had been closed during my previous visits to the mill, but this day was my lucky one.

"The Little Blue Free Library" on front porch taken by Jennie Moore
    
    The front porch alone boasts an array of interesting pieces, luring the curious minds inside. My favorite would have to be the "Little Blue Free Library". I love the concept of these libraries, as it is a way to encourage reading to any community with no cost needed, just the generosity of book donations. Upon entering, we were greeted by a warm hello from friendly gentlemen, and a soft spoken lady. I couldn't help but feel as if I had known this duo for years, although that surely wasn't the case.

"Antiques" Sign on side of building taken by Jennie Moore

    The building itself I would estimate dates from the mid to late 1800s, being covered in wooden siding accompanied by wavy glass in the windows. In the rear, the wooden floor boards bow where flood waters have repeatedly tested the structure's integrity. Though it still stands, telling the stories of years ago. I wonder how many people have walked in and out of the same doors, roaming the same routes that I myself would take through the winding antiques. 

Nuts from the neighboring covered bridge, taken by Jennie Moore

    While browsing, I came across these nuts on display that once were home to the Bufordville covered bridge, which itself dates to 1858. These were much larger than any I had seen before, definitely not something you will find at your local hardware store. I always enjoy learning about America's historical building methods, as the craftsmanship and talent required to make these engineering feats are nothing short of impressive in a time before power tools and electronics.  

Vintage vinyl section in store, taken by Jennie Moore

    As an avid vintage shopper, I always enjoy flipping through the albums in any store. I must say that this collection was the best I had ever seen in a secondhand shop. Perfectly curated from soft to psychedelic rock from the 1960s to 1980s, I could've taken them all home. The gentlemen at the counter came over, and we began to chat about music and our favorite artists. We had much in common in that department, and I could've spent the day listening to what he had to say about each album.

Front porch of store, taken by Jennie Moore

    If you are ever in the area, rather just passing by or paying a visit to the bridge and mill, I recommend taking the time to stop and look around. It is a little slice of heaven for a vintage collector and music lover, run by the kind of people that strike you like a breath of fresh air. I always treasure my conversations with strangers, especially those as kind as these. I see the beauty in humans among these people, a reminder we all need at times. If you stop in, let me know what you found! Thank you for reading, as always.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing Jennie! You always find such colorful places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! That is such a lovely compliment, I do love colorful places!

      Delete