Saturday, July 6, 2024

The World's Tallest Stone Structure - Washington Monument, Washington D.C. | Landmark Landing

 

View from the base of the Washington Monument, taken by Jennie Moore

    Hello everyone, welcome back to the blog! When I was 14, I went on a school trip to Washington D.C. It's something I'm incredibly grateful for, as my parents worked so hard to raise the money for me to go. My mom agreed to be a chaperon, so I could still take the trip in spite of my health issues. It was an incredible experience, and I remember those days so clearly. Washington D.C. is a paradise for an American history nerd like me, so I took tons of photos. I've decided it was time to begin sharing those photos and experiences from the trip, as it would be a waste not to document them as I do my other travels. In this post, I'm beginning with the Washington Monument, a D.C. icon that everyone in the states will recognize.  

View of Washington Monument from WWII Memorial, taken by Jennie Moore

    It is no secret that a major pillar in the United States' origin story is Founding Father, Army Commander, and first President, George Washington. Although smaller monuments had been placed to honor Washington during his life, it was shortly after his death that his peers and admirers suggested a much more substantial monument be built to properly honor America's hero. There would be several snags in this early process however, delaying any progress on the proposition until 1833. Several design changes took also place during the conceptualization of the monument, due to oppositions and lack of funds, delaying the process even further. Then, the Washington National Monument Society decided they would hold a design contest to determine what their monument would become. With the most approval from the society, the highly skilled South Carolina born architect, Robert Mills wins this contest. Further changes would be made to Robert's design due to additional hiccups, but the final design was set in stone (no pun intended) in 1848, with the cornerstone being laid the same year.

  
Unfinished Washington Monument c.1860, taken by Mathew Brady

    Construction took place from 1848 to 1854, when more issues began to arise. Low funding, an ownership battle, and the American Civil War halted progress on the monument, leaving it unfinished for years at around 1/5 of its intended height. Following the Civil War, the design of the monument was changed again to match the proportions of a true Egyptian Obelisk, the inspiration behind Mills' design. Construction resumed once more in 1879, and thanks to government funding, the monument would finally be completed in 1884, with it being opened to the public in 1888. At this time, the Washington Monument was the tallest building in the world, but was later dethroned by the Eiffel Tower.  Today, the Washington Monument is still the tallest stone structure in the world, (coming in at 555.5 feet), the tallest building in Washington D.C., and the world's largest obelisk! 

Nighttime view of the Washington Monument from the Lincoln Memorial, taken by Jennie Moore

    What you may not know (and I didn't even know at the time I visited), is that we could've lost the Washington Monument, and came far too close to it. On August 23rd, 2011 at 1:51pm, a 5.8 magnitude earthquake struck the nation's capitol. Thankfully, no casualties were reported, but several were left injured, and the quake caused up to 300 million dollars in damage. Aftershocks came one after another, one even being a 4.5 magnitude. This earthquake was a record breaker in several ways, with approximately 1/3 of Americans feeling the initial quake, and even causing the evacuation of the Pentagon. 

    Things were not well at the Washington Monument either, as visitors were touring the tower at the time. Those in the observation deck (a small room at the very top with windows to view the city) were thrown around, while others were struck by falling mortar and stone. Miraculously, the monument's elevator had just reached the bottom when the shaking began. No serious injuries were reported among the people, but the same could not be said about the monument itself. Several cracks had formed throughout, pieces of stone were broken, mortar joints had failed, and there was a clear debris field around the Monument. For several years after, the monument would spend time periodically closed for various, tedious repairs. Thanks to the dedication and craftsmanship of the repairmen, the Washington Monument is standing proudly today, and able to be enjoyed by the people once more.

View of the WWII and Lincoln Memorial from the Washington Monument Observation Deck, taken by Jennie Moore

    We visited the Washington Monument on a rainy day in March, and it truly was even more impressive than I expected. What particularly jumped out to me, were the intricate tile floors and ornate carvings in the walls of the elevator shaft. The elevator is partially transparent, so you can view the carvings on your trip up or down the monument. I didn't get a great photo of these due to the motion, but that can be a surprise for you if you decide to visit the Washington Monument! This elevator ride is a bit longer than average, since you must climb near 500 feet, but it is completely worth the stomach flutters in my opinion. 

Different view from Washington Monument Observation Deck, taken by Jennie Moore

    I specifically remember enjoying the experience with my mom, and friend Belle. Belle and I have known each other since the 5th grade, and although we don't see each other often anymore due to life's craziness, I'm so glad we made this memory together. The view of the country's living, beating heart really overtakes oneself. I really couldn't believe that I was looking over at the real Washington D.C. For the first time, I am able to see these places I had read about with my own eyes, and the Washington Monument gives one the opportunity to see several of these landmarks at once! I knew I was seeing and feeling something amazing, something I remember so clearly. How could I be seeing so much power, so much historical significance just within my field of my vision alone? That is truly something to behold. 

    Thank y'all for tuning in, I hope you enjoyed and learned something new! I'm excited to share more from this trip in the future, and continue to express my gratitude for the opportunity. I walked away with so much knowledge that I still use and reference to this day. I would love to return to Washington D.C. someday, because even after spending nearly a week there, I still haven't even scratched the surface of what there is to see and learn. Feel free to share any of your Washington D.C. travels in the comments, let me know where else I need to visit!

    

    
    




0 comments:

Post a Comment