Saturday, April 20, 2024

I.C.R.R. No. 1518 Steam Locomotive - Paducah, Kentucky | Landmark Landing

 

I.C.R.R. No. 1518, taken by Jennie Moore

    Hello everyone, welcome to the blog! I've got something cool to show you. My partner Walter and I are both interested in mechanics, and we love learning its evolution throughout history. He is mainly interested in automobiles, but can appreciate it all. Me, I'm a train enjoyer. I love cars too, but something about the massive machines fascinated me from the time I was a toddler. I know I'm not helping with the stereotype that all railfans are neurodivergent, but hey, you have to admit, trains are sick. This will be hopefully the first of many trains that will be featured on the blog!

    Walter and I paid a visit to this giant when on a weekend getaway to Paducah for my birthday last autumn. Belonging to the Illinois Central Railroad (I.C.R.R.), engine no. 1518 is a 2-8-2 Mikado Engine, built by Lime Locomotive Works in 1923. As you can see in the photo above, the locomotive is also accompanied by a mail car, and a signature red caboose. Being there during the holiday season, allowed us to see the train covered in Christmas lights! I wasn't able to get a nighttime photo, but it was beautiful. 

I.C.R.R. No. 1518, taken by Jennie Moore

    This train sits near the river, just feet from the floodwall. We were able to make a full walk around the train, and take in its features. The area is clean and well maintained, the train is very clearly cared for. As I stood in its presence, I could almost hear the families giving their farewells to loved ones departing on the train. The thuds of suitcases being loaded into storage, while mail that needs carried across the state by morning is loaded on by the crate. I wonder how many young people embarked on this train to fight for our safety in WWII, and those who never returned. Maybe this train played a part in a love story, reuniting a pair of soulmates who had long been apart. Thousands of people have rode the steam power of no. 1518, all of whom lived separate lives.

    Now, she rests. Dormant, but loved by the community and used to educate the young minds who weren't here to see 1518 in her full glory. Engines like 1518 were among the first of their kind. Humans had never seen such powerful, fast moving machines before. In this era, rail service was prospering across the U.S., being singlehandedly responsible growth across the map, even creating new towns all together. Paducah was no exception, and they honor that past by having 1518 proudly on display in the heart of the city's historic district.

Info sign at rear of train, taken by Jennie Moore

    There is also a railroad museum in Paducah, not far from the train display. I haven't been myself yet, but it is on my to do list! If you are visiting the museum, you might enjoy visiting the train display as well, as the train is public and completely free to view up close. As Walter and I chatted about the display, we realized that we were viewing the train exactly 100 years after it was first built. From 1923 to 2023, no. 1518 still serves Paducah's people, just in a different way these days. Thank you all for reading, I hope you will tune in again at my next stop!







0 comments:

Post a Comment