Saturday, April 1, 2023

Easter Lilies and Their Secrets

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1SGz62cMYSHIh1e7ZWUJhVEk6xLAkMTDT
Knob Lick, Missouri, taken by Jennie Moore

     Friends, today I want to share with you one of my favorite things about the spring season. Although Easter Lilies are beautiful in their own right, what I love most about them is the history they hold. It may seem silly to say that flowers can talk, but I assure you it’s true. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=14LA8R_jjGmT06XZ5eziaC8wtRdCt86n_
Homan St., Knob Lick, Missouri, taken by Jennie Moore

     Growing up in a former boom town, I quickly learned that a lot of people have passed through our small community over the past two centuries. I wondered about those people, and where they laid their heads at night. I was probably only four or five years old when my father told me I could find that answer in the flowers. He explained to me that the way my mother planted all kinds around our house, is something those people had done too. He led me to the southeast corner of our property, where Easter Lilies had sprouted in a perfect square, outlining where a small house had once sat. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1rxmzl4GF2StkB0vkBTEE3m5GPFGF6-x3
Plummer Rd, Knob Lick, Missouri, taken by Jennie Moore

     Since then, I look for shapes, lines, and angles in the spring flora every year, looking for the next piece of the forgotten puzzle. I find many of these shapes in our humble town of Knob Lick, Missouri. The photos I share with you today are from a walk I had taken earlier this week. To my neighbors, I’m sorry if me taking pictures of nothing was startling. I plan to match these photos with their former structures and add it to an interactive map project I am working on for the Knob Lick Historical Society. Click here to follow our page for updates! 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1VRxLifG5bbqi0Rb9yi3J5f3_lYgoHMzD
Plummer Rd, Knob Lick, Missouri, taken by Jennie Moore

     Next time you see Easter Lilies off on their own, remember the mother like mine who had planted them all those years ago. Time goes on, but the small joys of being a human never change. Maybe someday your Lillies will tell your story to a curious soul. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment