Friday, January 27, 2023

Theodore Street House | Abandoned

Historic Home in Park Hills, Missouri, taken by Jennie Moore

        To be completely honest, I know nearly nothing about this seemingly abandoned home that sits on the corner of Theodore and Berry in Park Hills, Missouri. It does not have a notable story or famous resident like most homes I cover. However, it has had my heart for the past several years, and I've decided to share it anyway. As a historical writer, it is quite often that my searches for information yield little results. Many projects sit collecting dust, because they do not meet the content criteria I have set for myself. Recently, I've decided that that is absolutely silly. We should not withhold our interests from one another based on what we do or do not discover about them. From now on, you will see many more, yet shorter articles on the blog, because it is time to shed light on these landmarks even if there is no tall tale, because the story did belong to someone, a someone who matters. I am the type so shout "wow!" out the car window when seeing a place that catches my eye, and that alone is worth sharing.

        What I do know about this home, is that records show it was built in 1920. I had initially guessed it to be older, as stacked stone foundations, like the one this house rests on, were phasing out at the time. This makes me think it was build by a lower class family, using the most cost effective methods for their home. It is a quaint 780 square feet, with two bedrooms and one bathroom. It's location places it in historical town, Flat River, annexed by Park Hills in 1994. That is where the facts end, but where my imagination starts. 

Side view of Theodore Street House taken by Jennie Moore

        I feel it is likely the home was built by a blue collar family, perhaps employed by one of the many local mines and quarries. It is common for mining families to construct or be provided with a home of this size, and design. I'm sure fire blazed in the winter, and every window rest open in the summer. I wonder who walked the floors, and rested their heads within. This I may never know, but it surely doesn't hurt to try. 

        Do you have any information on this home? I encourage you to comment or contact me via email. I would love to make an update in the future. Realtor websites read that a recent sale has been made on the home. Does this mean a restoration could be on the table? I sure hope so. Let me know if you have any favorite sites I should see, and again, thank you for supporting the blog.



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment